bubble and squeak fritters
RECIPE: Bubble and squeak........Veggie Fritters with leftover vegetables. I always steam/boil too many veggies and have them sitting in the fridge until i just throw them out. Which isn't the best, so I got creative and came up with these little beauties.....
2 cups of leftover cooked vegetables. I used sweet potato and broccoli
1 cup of shredded green cabbage raw (use a mandolin so it's nice and thin and cut across so you don't have long pieces.)
1 cup of frozen corn kernels thawed for 5 minutes (always have these in my freezer)
2 free range eggs
Approx. 1/3 cup of wholemeal plain flour. You can use gluten free plain flour/spelt flour etc. It's important to keep the mixture quiet wet.
1. In a bowl get your leftover vegetables, and mash them up with a fork or potato masher.
2. Add to the bowl your cabbage, eggs and flour. Add a good pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper then, with wet hands roll into balls and flatten a little with your palm. The mixture is wet and sticky so rinse hands throughout.
3. Have a plate with paper towel ready for fritters to drain on and in a frypan on medium heat add olive oil or grape seed oil to coat the whole base of frypan and add a tablespoon of butter or vegetable ghee.
4. Carefully place the fritters in frypan and cook for 5-6 minutes then flip gently and cook for another 5 minutes until golden brown. Don't flip too early or they will fall apart. Make sure heat is on medium, not too high and always flip away from you :)
5. Set aside on paper towel to drain and serve with avocado, sour cream. I have mine with harissa and sour cream mixed together. You can also have it with my coriander pesto.
NOTE: If you want to specifically make these and you don't have leftover steamed veg. I used 1 sweet potato and 1 broccoli head and boiled them in salted water. Let cool and use for fritters.