Spring lamb with orange, sumac and asparagus
RECIPE: Spring Lamb with orange, sumac, and asparagus. Serves 4-6
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes plus resting time
1.2kg Lamb roast on the bone
2 tablespoon of olive oil
2 brown onions diced
3 garlic cloves sliced
1 leek sliced into 1 cm rounds - white part only
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon of sumac spice
1 orange juice and zest
2 bunches of asparagus snap ends off and slice in half
3 stems of oregano
salt and pepper
1. Take the lamb out 30 minutes before to get to room temperature. With a peeler, peel off zest from the orange and set aside then juice orange and set aside. In a heavy-based pot (with lid) add olive oil and sautè onions for 5 minutes then add garlic for 1 minute. Turn oven onto 200C
2. Next add the leek, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sumac, orange juice, salt and pepper, and 500ml water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Sit the lamb into the pot. Top lamb with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of sumac.
4. Put the lid on the pot and transfer to oven. Cook for 20 minutes, bast with juices and take the lid off. Cook for another 20 minutes.
5. Take the pot out of the oven, put in asparagus and put the lid back on for 10 minutes The asparagus will stem with the lid on. Rest lamb for another 10 minutes
6. To serve, add the orange zest on top with the rest of the oregano leaves, extra olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
With the left overs I slice everything up into small pieces, mixed through and spoon onto puff pastry for pastry parcels to freeze for easy meals with salad.