Spinach, feta and lemon filo tart
RECIPE: Easy spinach, feta and lemon filo pie
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large spanish onion, roughly diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bunches of Rainbow chard or Silverbeet approx. 12 leaves/ stalks
100 g sheep’s milk feta cheese, drained
1 lemon - juice and zest
1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
6 free range eggs lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
6-8 sheets filo pastry
1 tablespoon of ghee melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a frypan (with lid) add the onion and garlic and cumin seeds with olive oil. Cook gently on a low heat, until softened. About 2 minutes.
3. Add the stalks from spinach, cook down for another minute, then add leaves and steam with lid on for 4-5 minutes. Turn heat off.
4. Add to the mixture feta cheese, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper
5. Grease a shallow round baking dish measuring about about 27cm.
6. Use three of the filo sheets to line the base and sides of the dish. Leave the excess pastry to hang over the edges of the dish. Cover the other 3 sheets in the opposite direction.
7. Then add the spinach mixture into filo bowl. Use the back of the spoon do make 6 little rivets and crack an egg into each one.
8. Fold in the excess filo over the top. Get 1 - 2 extra sheets and lightly scrunch to cover gap at the top of pie. Brush the top lightly with the remaining ghee and bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden.
NOTE: Add toasted pinenuts. Bacon for a non vegetarian meal. Serve with a side salad and is great the next day for lunch. Enjoy