Spinach and feta filo tart
I’ve got you covered for a scrumptious weeknight meal.......
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, roughly diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g Rainbow chard or Silverbeet
½ cup (100g) ricotta cheese
100 g sheeps milk feta cheese, drained
1/2 lemon - juice and zest
1 teaspoon of toasted caraway seeds
3 free range eggs lightly beaten.
salt and pepper to taste
6 sheets filo pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, then add the onion and garlic. Cook gently on a low heat, until softened.
3. Add the spinach and continue cooking for about 6 minutes. Tip into a large bowl and allow to cool.
4. Stir the ricotta and feta cheese with salt and pepper into the spinach mixture together with the lemon, zest, carraway seeds and eggs.
5. Oil a shallow baking dish measuring about about 25cm.
6. Use three of the filo sheets to line the base and sides of the dish. Leave the excess pastry to hang over the edges of the dish. Cover the last 3 sheets in the opposite.
7. Then add the spinach mixture into filo bowl.
8. Fold in the excess filo over the top. Brush the top lightly with the remaining oil and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
NOTE: you can add toasted pinenuts. Bacon for a non vegetarian meal. Serve with a side salad and is great the next day for lunch. Enjoy