Sausage Rolls with currants, almonds and fennel
RECIPE: Pork sausage rolls with almonds, fennel and currants. Makes 32
1kg pork mince
1 tablespoon of fennel seeds, extra for spreading over pastry
2 free range eggs
3/4 cup currants - soaked in boiling water for 1 minute.
1 cup of slivered almonds
2 tablespoons of fresh Thyme
50g bread crumbs
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
4 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg foe wash
1/2 cup of sesame seeds and poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a large bowl add the pork mince, fennel seeds, eggs, currants, almonds, thyme, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and throughly mix. Should take a good 5 minutes of mixing to really combine the ingredients.
3. Take sheets of pastry and cut them in half.
4. Divide the filling into 8 even portions and put each log into the centre of the pastry moulding it into a 30cm long x 4-5cm diameter log.
5. Brush one long edge with the egg wash. Lift up the non-washed edge and roll it firmly over the filling to join with the egg wash side underneath.
6. Carefully place onto baking tray that has grease proof paper.
7. Finish each roll with egg wash on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds and fennel seeds. 8.Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Cut each log into 4’s
NOTE: Will last in an airtight container frozen for 3 months. If you don’t want to make a big batch, half quantities above.