ROAST LAMB & vegetables
Who doesn’t love a Lamb Roast for dinner! My kids go crazy for it. The smell alone makes us want to devour it! I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does.
Serves 4 - 6
1 leg of lamb - on the smaller side. (I used a 1.5kg piece, see notes below for cooking time)
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
3 x sprigs of fresh rosemary
6 cloves of garlic whole ( and 3 if you have large cloves then cut in half)
1 leek chopped into 2cm rounds (can use onion)
1 large sweet potato - slices into 2cm rounds (can use carrots)
1 punnet of tomatoes
1 x 400g can of cannelloni beans - rinse and drained.
1. Leave lamb out for 30 minutes before roasting. (If you can)
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan force.
3. In a baking tray put in leek, sweet potato and sprinkle a little olive oil and season. Mix together and put lamb on top of the vegetables.
4. Cover lamb with oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Then with a sharp knife, cut deep enough incisions all over the lamb to stuff garlic cloves and 1/2 sprigs of rosemary. Put into the incisions, leaving the sprigs of rosemary sticking out.
6. Add 2 cups of water to tray and place the lamb and vegetables in the oven and roast for around an hour and a half.
7. Take out of oven. Remove lamb and put into another dish to rest for about 15 minutes, covered loosely with foil.
8. Add the tomatoes and left over sprigs of rosemary to tray of vegetables and put back into oven for 10 minutes, then add the canelleini beans for a further 5 minutes. Stir vegetables through and serve with lamb.
Notes: My lamb was a small leg so I roasted for an hour and rested for 15 minutes. (I like my lamb slightly pink). Vegetable amounts stay the same.
If you prefer using a meat thermometer a medium lamb should be 70C! (A really good utensil to have in the kitchen)