QUINOA, BEANS AND FRESH COCONUT
RECIPE: Quinoa beans and fresh coconut salad
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1/2 cup currants
250g beans - blanched
2 tablespoons of fresh coconut
1/2 cup pistachio’s - chopped roughly
4-5 shallots - sliced finely
1/3 mint - finely chopped (reserve some leaves for garnish)
1 lime - juice and zest
2 tablespoons of coconut cider vinegar (niulife - health food stores) or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of palm sugar (grated)
1. Rinse quinoa under cold running water. This will remove it’s bitter taste. Then pour into a saucepan and put in 3 cups of water with a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 -15minutes. fluff up with a fork and tip into a large bowl.
2. Soak currants in boiling water for 1 minute and add to bowl of quinoa.
3. Cut blanched beans into 3cm pieces and add them to the bowl with coconut, pistachio’s, shallots and mint.
4. Mix through and combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
5. Garnish with extra coconut and mint leaves.
NOTES: This will last up to 3 days. The mint will go a little brown but still totally fine.