orange and almond/hazelnut cake
This gluten free, dairy free (and my version of no sugar) cake is an absolute delight to eat.
Claudia Roden’s orange and almond cake. I made it with hazelnut meal and sweetener.
2 Navel oranges (they don’t have seeds)
6 free range eggs
250g almond meal (I used hazelnut meal)
250g caster sugar (I used 1/2 cup of Xylitol. You can find this in health food stores. Find the Xylitol from birch)
1 teaspoon of baking powder,
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan forced. Line a 22cm cake tin baking paper. Use spray oil before baking paper so paper sticks to tin.
2. Wash and boil the oranges whole for 1½ hours or until they are very soft.When cool enough to handle puree the oranges, including the peels, in a food processor.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar.
4. Add the baking powder and almonds and mix well.
5. Then mix thoroughly with the orange puree and pour into a cake tin – preferably non stick and with a removable base.
6. Bake at 180C for an hour. I usually cover with baking paper and foil so it doesn’t brown too much on top. Let it cool before turning out.
NOTE: Cut an orange into thin slice's. Put into a saucepan with 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of honey and simmer till the oranges are translucent for the top, approximately 15 minutes. Keep in the fridge and you can boil the oranges a day or so before you need to make the cake.