Blood orange flourless cake
gluten free, refined sugar free, optional diary free cake
RECIPE: Blood Orange flourless cake with ricotta frosting and Thyme. Gluten free and refined sugar free cake.
Diary free without the frosting.
4 blood oranges 3 oranges in cake, 1 orange sliced for decoration.
6 free range eggs separated
250g almond meal
100g coconut sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of honey
1 small handful of Thyme to decorate.
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
1. Start the day before or 2 hours before. Wash and boil the oranges whole for 1½ hours or until they are very soft. Preheat oven to 180C fan forced. Grease and double line a 22cm springform cake tin with baking paper. To double line cake tin, simply fold baking paper in half and line the sides. For base put two layers of baking paper in the springform tin.
2. .When cool enough to handle, deseed and quarter 3 of the oranges, put the 3 oranges including the peels, in a food processor. Process until pureed.
3. Add the egg yolks to food processor, almond meal, baking powder and the coconut sugar. Pulse until just combined. Transfer to large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks.
5. Fold the egg whites carefully into cake mixture until just combined. and pour into cake tin.
6. Bake at 180C for an hour or until skewer comes out clean. I usually cover with foil towards end if the top of the cake is looking brown enough. Let it cool before turning out.
7. With the last blood orange, slice thinly and drizzle 1 tablespoon of honey, then top on cake for decoration with some Thyme sprigs
8. Diary option: This ricotta frosting is so delicious with it. Simply put the ricotta and vanilla bean paste into a food processor and blend until smooth. Evenly distribute over the cake, add blood oranges and sprinkle Thyme sprigs over the cake.
NOTE: I usually boil the oranges a day or so before and then it only takes 15 minutes to put together before putting it into the oven.
Inspired by Claudia Roden's Orange and Almond cake.