fennel, leek and parmesan soup
RECIPE: Fennel, leek and parmesan soup
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 fennel roughly chopped (keep fronds aside for garnish)
3 leeks, white part only roughly chopped in small rounds
4 potatoes peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves peeled and left whole
1 litre chicken stock or vegetable stock
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan
salt and white pepper to taste
fennel fronds for garnish
1. In a heavy base pot on low to medium heat, put in olive oil, fennel, leeks, potatoes and garlic cloves. Gently heat through for 5 minutes without browning vegetables.
2. Add 1 cup of water to pot and put the lid on for 15 minutes.
3. Give vegetables a stir and add the stock. If vegetables are not fully covered, fill with water to just cover the vegetables.
4. Put lid back on. On low, gently simmer for 45 minutes. Or until vegetables are tender to slide a skewer through. Stir twice in between.
5. Let soup cool down in the pot for 20 minutes, then add parmesan and a good pinch of salt. Use a stick blender or food processor to blend soup into a smooth consistency.
Serve with melted parmesan sourdough. Just slice sourdough, sprinkle parmesan and lightly brown on a baking tray in the oven.... delicious.
Soup is great to freeze for meal prep.