ALL IN ONE ROAST CHICKEN
MY ALL IN ONE ROAST CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS - VERSION 1
1 whole organic chicken
1 brown onion - peeled and sliced into large rounds
4 garlic cloves - whole
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
50g butter softened
10 dutch carrots - keep whole, washed / peeled or normal carrots sliced up
1 leek - white part only sliced into 2cm rounds (if it's a small leek use 2)
500ml x chicken stock OR left over stock you have frozen OR water.
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
INGREDIENTS - VERSION 2. SEE METHOD AT THE BOTTOM
1/2 cup of barley
400ml of water
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan forced. In a large (30cmx35cm) baking tray put chicken, breast side up, on top of sliced onion rings.(I always rinse out cavity with cold water and then pat dry skin with paper towel)
2. in the cavity of chicken, squeeze lightly 1/2 the lemon and then put half lemon into cavity, with whole garlic cloves. Put other half into baking tray.
3. Mix chopped sage and softened butter in a bowl. Gently with two fingers separate the skin from meat of chicken and evenly stuff with the sage butter mix in between. Trying not to tear the skin.
4. Scatter leek and dutch carrots around the chicken. Then pour the olive oil, apple cider vinegar and sprinkle sea salt over whole baking dish. Pour in chicken stock / water. Submerge carrots into stock so they cook. They will still have a little crunch at the end.
5. Cover firstly with baking paper and then foil. Tightly press the sides of foil around baking dish and put into the oven for 50 - 60 minutes.
6. After 50 - 60 minutes, take off foil and baking paper, then cook for another 20-30 minutes until chicken is golden brown. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
7. VERSION 2 - ADDITION OF BARLEY
At the 40 minute mark of cooking the chicken, take foil and baking paper off (keep them) and add 400ml of water.
Use a spoon to mix the pearl barley into liquid mixture, submerging in the stock so they cook.
Put foil back on and cook for another 30 minutes. then take foil off and cook for another 20-30 minutes for chicken to brown. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
The grains will soak up all the juice and you will have the most amazing all in one Roast Chicken.