The good old meatballs and sauce combo. We serve them with penne pasta but spaghetti will do too. These are oven baked so no messy frying in a pan. ENJOY!
Makes 24 (I usually freeze half for a later date)
500g beef mince
1 medium onion - roughly chopped
1 carrot - roughly chopped
120g breadcrumbs (or gluten free breadcrumbs)
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped mint
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
extra parsley and mint for garnish
METHOD for meatballs:
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. In a blender/mixer pulse the onion and carrot until fine.
3. In a large bowl put the beef mince, onion, carrot, breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic, cumin, egg and mix thoroughly for 5 minutes.
4. Roll into balls. Line a baking tray with baking paper and fill with meatballs.
5. Sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper over meatballs and bake for 20-25 minutes. After 15 minutes of cooking
give them a mix around and put on Worcestershire sauce. continue cooking for remaining time.
RECIPE: QUICK Tomato pasta sauce - enough for 12 meatballs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon of sugar or xylitol
410g tin crushed/diced tomatoes
1 cup of basil leaves for garnish at the end.
1 cup of grated Parmesan
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
2. Add the garlic, tomato paste, sugar, crushed tomatoes 1/2 cup of water.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes until thick. Season with salt and pepper. (I stir in a knob of butter occasionally!)
Add meatballs into the saucepan and top with basil leaves. and parmesan.
NOTE: I make more than I need and put the spare uncooked ones into an airtight container to freeze. They will freeze for 3 months and great for and easy dinner option. Make sure your meat has not been frozen before you make mixture as you won’t be able to refreeze them.