Slow Lamb Shank pasta
RECIPE: Slow cooked lamb shanks - Serves 4 people
2 tablespoons olive oil / ghee
2 large lamb shanks
3 small capsicum core out and diced into 2cm pieces
3 carrots sliced into 2cm pieces
2 Spanish onions diced into 2cm pieces
3 cloves of garlic peeled and sliced thin
5 sprigs of thyme
4 bay leaves
2 x 400g crushed tomatoes
100ml good red wine
To Serve: Sweet potato mash / polenta / brown rice
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Heat a large, heavy based pot (with lid). Put on stove top with 2 tablespoons of olive oil/ghee. Season Lamb shanks and brown on all sides on a medium to high heat.
2. Once browned on all sides, set aside on a plate. Then in the same pot add all the vegetables, garlic, bay leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add wine and cook off for 1 minute then add tomatoes, herbs, tomato paste and put the lamb shanks back in along with 700ml of water. Season with salt and pepper. Turn stove burner off. Place lid on pot and carefully place pot on the bottom shelf of oven.
4. Cook for 2 hours with lid on. After that time, take lid off and cook for another 30 minutes. I like to shred the meat off the lamb shanks and serve on a bed of sweet potato mash. But you can serve lamb shank whole if desired.
5. Add cooked pasta into sauce with 1 cup of pasta water added. Let simmer for 5 minutes to thicken then serve with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.
You can also serve lamb shanks with rice, quinoa, mash, polenta