Coconut chicken with ginger and mixed rice
made with my prepared chicken broth
Chicken with coconut milk, ginger and chilli - serves 2
500ml of chicken broth. See below for recipe.
400ml coconut milk
1/2 birds eye chilli - seeds removed and chopped finely. Save a little for topping dish at the end.
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised. Hit the back of a knife to squash the stalk
5cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove - crushed
1/2 bunch of coriander, leaves picked, roots washed and finely sliced.
1/2 lime juice and zest
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 shallot - sliced finely
1 handful of green beans
150g red rice
150g brown rice
1. Cook rice together in rice cooker or thermomix for 30 minutes.
2. In a frypan with grape seed oil put in garlic, ginger, chilli, lemongrass and coriander roots and gently fry for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice and zest, fish sauce, maple syrup and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the green beans and simmer for another 10 minutes.
5. Serve with rice and sprinkle shallots, coriander leaves and a little extra chilli.
INGREDIENTS for CHICKEN BONE BROTH:
1 whole chicken
2 onion - chopped into quarter's
3 carrots - chopped roughly
1 potato - peeled and cut in half
4 celery stalk's - chopped roughly
2 garlic cloves - whole
1 teaspoon of tomato paste
3 bay leaves - fresh
1 tablespoon of salt
1. In a large saucepan, put 2 tablespoon's of water and put in onion's, carrot's, celery and garlic. Stir for 5 minutes and then add the whole chicken and bay leaves. Add 7 litres of water and put lid on and bring to the boil. Then bring down to a simmer with lid off. Simmer for 2.5 - 3 hours.
2. Let cool, use a sieve to separate liquid to the vegetables and shred chicken. Decanter liquid and shredded chicken into container's. Should get 7-8 container's. Then freeze.