SEAFOOD SOIREE FOR MOTHER'S DAY
When you think of cooking for loved ones, often your mum will be top of the list. So, I have curated a seafood menu for you to do at home and show your mum, this Mother's Day how special they are.
From my year's of catering and menu planning, I have designed this menu with easy step by step instructions, from the food to the table decor. You don't need to be a whiz in the kitchen for this menu, just some great produce and a beautiful table setting is all you need and your mum will be singing your praises.
Salmon / tuna sashimi with a pineapple salsa to serve.
Fresh oysters with a ponzu and shallot dressing. (find ponzu at asian supermarket)
Cooked King prawns with fresh lime and aioli (get a good quality aioli)
Grilled fig salad with pepita's and orange blossom dressing
Eaton mess with fresh berries and mascarpone cream
It's best to start the day before, so you don't rush around on the day. All the dressing's can be done the day before, except the pineapple salsa. Have all the ingredients for the salsa ready to combine together on the day.
The seafood can be bought the day before as well. Otherwise best to draw straws on who will scoot to the fish markets the morning of.
Quantity per person is best based on the seafood component being 150 -200g per person in total. It's always nice to have a little extra though.
TABLE DECOR TIPS
- Simple is always the key. White table cloth, lined with some kraft paper down the centre of the table.
- Get some drinking glasses / vases / jars and go foraging for some greenery. Fruit tree/branches with cumquats/ limes / ivy work really well too. Or copy my styling below. I like to put herbs in water glasses down the table too.
- Flowers I used are Stock, Dahlia's, Camellia's and Hyacinth's
- It's always nice to have crockery/glasses and not disposable plates/cutlery for a special occasion like Mother's Day, and if they are not all the same just alternate them.
- My floral tablecloth came from Ikea. Just measure you table length and they will cut it for you. A great inexpensive way to dress your table.
- Because it's seafood, make sure you have water bowls with lemon wedges for each person or in the centre of the table.
RECIPE: PINEAPPLE SALSA FOR SASHIMI
Enough for 6-8
1/2 pineapple, diced into small cubes
1 chilli, split in half
2 tablespoons white rice
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Drizzle sesame seed oil
½ bunch mint, chopped
½ bunch coriander, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Combine all the ingredients together and serve with sashimi
RECIPE: Ponzu and shallot dressing
Enough for 6-8 people
1/2 cup Ponzu
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 Shallots finely sliced
Mix ingredients together and serve with lemon
RECIPE: Grilled White Peach salad with orange blossom dressing - serves 8
Now, I know these have peaches and most likely they have just gone out of season. Figs are in though and absolutely perfect with this salad.
5 ripe white peaches - cut into quarters OR 10 figs cut in half.
200g - 250g salad mixed leaves washed and dried
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
70ml of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of orange blossom water
1/2 lime - juice only
Pinch to salt
1. For the dressing mix all the ingredients in a jar and shake. Set aside until your ready to make and serve salad.
2. On a large flat platter spread out the washed lettuce. Cut and quarter peaches/figs and grill only on cut sides. Will only take a minute on each side
3. Let peaches/figs cool a little and place evenly over salad leaves. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the top.
4. Shake dressing just before you pour over salad.
RECIPE: Eaton Mess with mascarpone cream
Serve 6 - 8 people
12 Mini meringues bought - gently crushed into small pieces. My meringues were 95g each. So 2 in each bowl.
Raspberries / blueberries / strawberries / pomegranite seeds / grapes. 1- 2 tablespoons of mixed berries in each bowl.
1 tablespoon mascarpone
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1. In a mixer whip cream with vanilla bean paste until soft peaks form. Add mascarpone and whip gently until combined. Then do two layer's of crushed meringue, berries, mascarpone cream. Serve in glasses, a round plate or anything you have that would look beautiful.
If you have any questions on this menu, please don't hesitate to send through an email. If you need more specific advice then just let me know. I hope you have a wonderful day and if you whip up this simple but elegant menu for your mum don't forget to take some pics and show me.
I hope you all have a wonderful day with your family. Enjoy celebrating or being celebrated for all the wonderful things mum's bring to this world.