beetroot tart, goat's chevre and thyme gluten free tart
RECIPE: Beetroot, Goat's Chevre and Thyme Tart -Gluten Free
INGREDIENTS FOR PASTRY:
500g Plain gluten free flour (or plain flour)
250g unsalted butter
pinch of salt
100ml cold water
INGREDIENTS FOR EGG MIXTURE:
2 Free range eggs
1/4 cup thickened cream
1/4 cup milk
Pinch of salt
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING:
2 cups of cooked grated beetroot (you can also buy cooked beetroot in cryovac bags in vegetable section of supermarket)
1 handful of grated parmesan
70g Goat's chevre cheese
4 sprigs of Thyme
Balsamic glaze - find at grocery store.
- In a food processor put flour, butter and salt into processor and blend till fine breadcrumbs. Gradually add water whilst spinning. When water has absorbed, tip pastry onto lightly floured bench and knead just so it forms a log. Put into fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160C and you will need an 8 inch tin that has a removable base.
- Combine eggs, milk, cream and salt in a bowl and whisk. leave in fridge until needed.
- Get pastry out of the fridge. You will need approximately 1/3 of the log and squash it down with your hands in between two pieces of baking paper. Carefully roll out into a 10inch circle should be 2mm thick.
- Spray quiche tin with oil and place onto a baking tray ready for filling. Take the top piece of baking paper off and roll up your pastry very lightly and loosely with the rolling pin. Roll gently along the quiche tin and peel back the baking paper. The gluten free pastry tends to fall apart a lot easier than normal flour so you will need to patch. But don't worry because no one will see it with all the filling inside of it. Place in fridge for 10-15 minute's before you put filling in.
- Time for the filling. Lightly sprinkle a layer of grated parmesan. Then evenly scatter the grated beetroot into quiche tin. Do not packed it in. You need it loose so the egg mixture filters through. Then scatter the goat's chevre and pour over egg mixture gradually (give it time to soak in before you add all of it. You may have a little mixture left over depending on how packed the beetroot is)
- Cook tart in a 160C oven, bottom shelf, for 40-50 minutes. It will be golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and sprinkle Thyme sprigs/leaves and if you have balsamic glaze just do a quick zig zag and you have yourself the most delicious lunch, dinner or snack.