beetroot, ruby grapefruit and goat's chevre salad
RECIPE: Beetroot, ruby grapefruit and goat's chevre salad - serves 6
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ruby grapefruit
2 cups toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
75g goat's chevre cheese - Meredith Valley
1/3 cup of mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking tray with baking paper and put beetroots whole with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle a little salt over the beet's. Bake for 1 hour or until you can put a skewer through easily.
- Whilst beet's are cooking. Segment the ruby grapefruit, and squeeze juice into a bowl from the leftover pith of grapefruit. Add segments to bowl with juices.
- Let beet's cool and, using gloves, peel off the skin with a pairing knife. Cut into wedges and add to grapefruit segments and juices.
- Add beet's to grapefruit, don't mix, then add 2 tablespoon's of olive oil, the red vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Gently mix dressing with grapefruit and beet's then add to serving bowl. Top with the toasted walnut's, mint and add the goat's chevre cheese at the very last minute as the beet's will bleed into the white cheese.
NOTE: If you want to bulk this salad up even more, add some rocket as the base. Dress rocket with a little olive oil and salt before you put the Beetroot salad on.